Friday, September 10, 2010

Monogamy ?

The temperatures dropping, fall’s approaching, and people are pairing off. It’s something about the holidays and cold weather that cause hormones to spike and co-dependence to kick into high gear. Everyone wants a cutie to cuddle by, a special someone to shack with, or a hunny to hug. If you’re on the verge of throwing up then you share my sentiments. I’m sorry but monogamy is overrated. Before you get riled up, I didn’t come from a cult of baby popping polygamist, or from a brothel. I did, however, come from a family that taught me never to seek validation from a counter part. The principle of monogamy, sticking with one person, isn’t what I disagree with. It’s the reasons people, male or female, choose to engage in meaningless relationships. If I had a quarter for every time I’ve heard a girl say, “But I’m PRETTY! I’m SUPPOSED to have a boyfriend.” I could buy enough blowup Ken dolls to shut these shallow girls up. The act of casual dating has been replaced with hooking up at a party, and high standards have been diluted to “you’ll do.” I don’t know whether to give the blame to the boys who have lost the ability to strike up a conversation without having a drink in their hand, or the girls who accept “You look like a hot lay,” as cause to swoon. As I fight for the single side of the spectrum, I’ve also got to play the devils advocate. Having a steady boyfriend would be nice, but before I agree to wear Billy’s class ring and run to change my facebook status, lets break down the request: steady boyfriend. Steady implies that you’re both involved in a stable relationship. For example, Monday through Friday your boobear is MIA, but come the weekend and it’s like you suddenly became part of the radar again, that’s not a relationship it’s a chronic bootycall. If you’re choosing to be this guy’s girlfriend so you can get invited to his spring formal and float the river, that’s not a boyfriend, it’s an asset. My point is hold out for the real thing people. Hold your single head high and date around until you find someone who satisfies your high expectations. Moral of the story is you can date a jackass and laugh about it after the dates over, it’s harder to laugh when you’ve got his arm around you, at his party, holding his drink, because he’s your boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment